Meeting 6 November 2018, Hove Town Hall
Michael Bedingfield standing in for Derek de Young
The Conservation Advisory Group (CAG) is a collective group of local conservation groups and amenity societies, which includes the Kemp Town Society.
It meets monthly and aims to provide advice and comments on planning applications affecting conservation areas, locally listed buildings and historic parks and gardens, or their settings, where visible from the public realm or accessible to the public. CAG also advises and comments on other schemes and policies promoted by the council which impact on conservation areas and other heritage assets.
Derek de Young is the member of the Kemp Town Society Committee who attends CAG meetings. The Kemp Town Society has responsibility over two areas, the Kemp Town Conservation Area (Area 3) and the College Conservation Area (Areas 25), indicated in light green on the attached map:
At November’s meeting, no planning applications relating to either of the areas were included on the agenda. Nine applications were considered relating to other conservation areas throughout Brighton and Hove.
- design modifications to the tower façade to make it more interesting
- amends to the heights of the northern buildings in Phase 2, with planners wanting to see greater variety and a “stepping up” towards the tower
- additional car parking to provide 150 spaces in the new scheme alongside the circa 200 spaces to Phase 1
- reconfiguration and a reduction in the size of the landscaped square adjacent to the marina’s western arm to take into account usability in stormy weather; and
- priority on creating a landscape which will survive the harsh coastal conditions.